[Amps] Are Amps Slow on the uptake? Or is it just me?

Dave Hachadorian k6ll.dave at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 12:56:22 EDT 2019

You say that the first few letters of a call sign are weaker.  That's a long
period of time, and amplifiers are not that slow. You also imply that this
happens on a regular basis.  I operate in contests a lot, and do not hear
that problem.  I think the most likely explanation is that your station is
slow returning to receive.  It may be as simple as an oxidized relay contact
in the receive chain.  This is a frequent problem with mechanical relays.
Try connecting your transceiver directly to the antenna in order to
eliminate the T/R relay in the amplifier.  Whichever relay is at fault, then
cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner such as DeoxIT or even a piece of
paper should fix the problem.  If the relay is sealed, then it may be
necessary to replace it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA