[Amps] 3CX800A7 cathode short

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 15:50:20 EDT 2019

I converted an Alpha 76PA to a pair of 3CX800A7's a few years ago. It's been a
great amp since then.

Last night something strange happened - It started drawing plate and grid
current even before the 3 minute warmup period had completed. I'll spare you the
troubleshooting details. When the event occurs, the cathode voltage drops to 1
volt, rather than the usual cutoff of 28 volts. Removed the tubes, and all was
well. Put the tubes back in, one at a time. Sure enough, it's one of the tubes.
That would make it a cathode-to-filament or cathode-to-grid short, right ?
Anything possible to clear the short ?

BTW, it was a pair of Chinese 3CX800A7's, sold by Alpha under the previous
management.

73,
Steve, N2IC