[Amps] QRO 2500DX MARK lll 4CX800

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 11:31:13 EDT 2019

I now know of two Chinese 3CX800 "low grid current" tubes that have recently
failed in the same way.

These, sold by RF Parts and Alpha Amps:
https://www.rfparts.com/3cx800a7-tay-lgc.html

In the two cases, it was different amps, both with excessive grid current
protection.

In my case, everything was working fine, until the next time I turned on the
amp. Initially, there was no short. About 2 minutes later, the short occurred.
Completely repeatable by letting the tube cool down.

For Alpha 76's, what other tube substitutions are reasonably possible, besides
8874's and 3CX800's ?

73,
Steve, N2IC