[Amps] Lightning strike - Alpha 77Sx grid issue

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Sat Nov 30 17:46:34 EST 2019

The day before Thanksgiving I was
listening on 160 & lightning hit close to
the antennas. Heard a sizzle in the shack
and lost a few things. Guess Polyphasers
in the coax and a good ground isn't enough
to dodge the bullet.

Among the things damaged were the LP-100A,
the P3 Wattmeter, Computer BIOS, GPSDO and
now I find the grid metering is not
working on the Alpha. When putting the amp
to the load/tune settings I have written
down, it performs normally and my signal
report was 59+ with excellent audio.

All the other meter functions are working
as before but not the grid metering. When
I transmit the grid goes to .7 MA and
stays there unless I increase the input
power significantly and then it raises.

Adjusting the load does not affect the
meter but if I increase the load out of
limits, the ALC meter does light and then
goes out when I back off the load. It
appears the ALC is still intact.

I'm not enough of an engineer or tech to
adequately understand the schematic, but
looking at circuit board CB-2, the control
board, I see Q202 & Q203 as well as a few
diodes are in the metering path. I have no
way to test the transistors but they are
inexpensive enough I can just replace
them.

I made a 3 page PDF of the schematic for
the push switch for grid and the control
board.

http://doctorgary.net/grid-circuit.pdf

The entire pdf manual is here at Alpha RF
systems

https://tinyurl.com/sndumoa

Any suggestions for what I might check
would be greatly appreciated.