[Amps] Non metallic paint for plywood ?

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Oct 22 15:41:40 EDT 2019

I'm  going  to  stack 2 x identical sheets of  3/4"  plywood together in  the  new  24"  rack.

The  127 lb Dahl 4H  choke  will  sit  dead  center  on  the  plywood.  Is  run  of  the  mill

paint in a spray bomb conductive ?    Or  should I  be using indoor latex, outdoor latex... or  something else, like BBQ  repair high  temp paint ?   Or  perhaps  fire  resistant paint ?

2x2  angle aluminum down  each  side of  rack,  with  plywood on  top  of  em.   Entire mess will  be up  off  the  bottom  just  enough so  I  can  get  my hands  underneath  to  tighten up the  1/4-20  nuts.   1/4-20  is  max  size  that  will  fit the  4 x slotted holes in  the 2 x angle  steel's,  at  base  of  choke.

I  don't  trust  the  insulation breakdown.....  which is just a single  sheet  of....'fishtape'   at  bottom of each  side of  choke.    Fishtape  partially  torn  on  one  side.   Each  sheet  is  21 x 22.75

Only  the  top  sheet  and  front  and  rear  edges  to  be  painted. Its  just for  aesthetics.     The  choke is  part  of a   C-L-C   experiment I am  playing with these days..for a B+  supply. Choke  has a 25 kv-65 A spst-nc kilovac ceramic relay  across it....  plus an  adjustable spark gap.  Spark  gap  is  just a pair  of  1/4-20 silver plated brass screws..with  1/4-20 acorn  nuts  facing  each  other.

Jim   VE7RF