[Amps] What limits DC plate supply voltage for GI7B?

Carl km1h at jeremy.qozzy.com
Sun Oct 27 14:38:31 EDT 2019

The problem with that and some other Russian triodes is that they are low mu
and make poor SSB amps with poor IMD.

Running in GG takes a  lot of drive and HV for reasonable effficiency. They
make nice Class C AM/CW tubes.

Think of the difference between several USA A3 and  A7 suffix ceramic
triodes or go back to the 811 and 812 glass tubes.

The G17 also goes soft very easy which could be because it is a pulse tube
and not made for high duty cycles or just a low cost throw away tube after
so many hours.

If something like a pair of 3-500 prices makes you shudder then you may need
a different hobby or consider other sources or the good used tube market.

Carl