[Amps] Failure of a pair of FU728F

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Sep 23 04:55:17 EDT 2019

As I have an Emtron manual tune amp I can only comment on the FU728F
Tetrode.
I would not run a single one of these tubes at 200-330W output, let
alone a pair.
There are at least 3 versions of the FU728F.  The earlier versions tend
to have some problems and the later ones say they have a 1200W plate
dissipation, they really are 1500 watts.  Other tubes have had this
change on paper as well.
The FU728F is a relatively  inexpensive tube for its power capabilities
as "were" the Chinese 8877s
Like many Tetrodes, when run much below 75% output they may exhibit a
negative screen current.  The tubes should be operated in the normal
screen current and tuned for a peak in screen (G2) current, for best
efficiency and linearity keeping at less than the maximum ratings .
IOW, the tube should be tuned for a peak in screen current, NOT for max
output, or max plate current

73., Roger (K8RI)

--
Roger (K8RI)