[Amps] Henry 3K-A choke failure...workaround?

David Gow 6146guy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 00:33:48 EDT 2019

Thee years ago I was given a 3K-A with the same problem.  I did put the
choke on a piece of thick Bakelite and it worked great.  I talked to
several other hams that had done the same thing.  However, I worried about
safety if it went to another ham and I had the original choke rewound by
the fellow in Maine who does such things,  It cost about $300, worked
perfectly and I loved it until I did a real stupid thing and when replacing
the PA cover after tuning   I failed to noticed that the brass  safety
shorting strip had came loose from its singe screw mounting and shorted the
3000 volt HV to ground.  When I hit the power button there was a huge bang
and flash.  It took out the HV rectifiers,the entire B+ protection circuit
(melted the relay) , and melted much oft he HV wiring. The brass shorting
strip was completely vaporized.  I sold it to for the cost of the choke
rewind. I t was pretty dramatic,  I can look up the contact info for the
rewinder if you like, he is well known but the company name escapes me at
the moment.
Dave W7VM