[Amps] Old SB1000 built by me in 1988

Ken Florence amps at n3kf.org
Sun Dec 13 13:53:36 EST 2020

Hi all,
After a long time of having an intermittent no power out problems on my
amp, I finally figured out the problem was the parasitic suppression
circuit. I had put one of Rick Measures (SK-RIP) Nichrome kits in it. Not
sure if there was a solder joint issue or what, but went back to the stock
suppressor, replaced plate choke (original with resonance issue on 17
meters) and it works fine.  At least 40 through 10. I notice when I tune it
up on 80 meters I get a quick sizzling sound sometimes (very short
duration). I assume that is an arc? I need to get the ALC line back on
cause it's obvious it only needs about 75 watts input for full output. New
Graphite tube. Have not tried 160 yet.

So could it be a little over driving it on 80 that is causing that, or if
not, how do I narrow down where it is? Definitely nothing burnt cause I
went over it with a fine tooth comb.