[Amps] Old SB1000 built by me in 1988

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 15:04:44 EST 2020

Look at the band switch. The sizzling might be an arc caused by corona
discharge. That is a common SB1000 problem and will destroy the switch
if it hasn't already.

There could also be an arc in the loading capacitor. Easy to miss that.

Don't operate it until you fix it. Every arc burns something. Soon you
lose your bandswitch contact or melt a bit of a capacitor plate into a
blob that becomes a permanent source of arcs.

I recall that there is one bandswitch terminal that is supposed to have
a washer soldered on it below the lead to the tuning capacitor. It's
important that it be there to reduce the potential gradient on that contact.

How much grid current are you getting? Should be between 100-150 ma. If
there is more, either it is underloaded or overdriven. Both conditions
can cause arcing.

ALC is not the best way to reduce the drive. If it is too slow, there
could be an initial period of overdrive. Better to adjust the power in
CW or with a whistle on SSB. Best is a "pulser" device.

The measures suppressors don't do anything worthwhile and heat up on
10m. The stock suppressors are fine.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel