[Amps] Dielectric grease for roller inductors?

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Thu Jan 2 15:23:01 EST 2020

I’m dubious about using conducting grease for roller inductors.
Generally, I’ve used  a thin coating of dielectric silicone grease for
that kind of application. The purpose is to lubricate the roller
connection, to keep moisture out, and to inhibit oxidation. Under the
pressure of the roller against the coil, there’s a good metal-to-metal
contact. Using silver bearing grease as an interface between the
roller and the inductor surface just puts a lossy, grainy material
where it will do no good. Conducting grease is mostly useful where one
needs a good thermal bond, as on a CPU IC or heat sink surface.

This debate comes up regularly with respect to lubricating the center
pin of PL259 connectors. Although it seems counterintuitive, using a
small amount of pure silicone grease is far better than putting a
conducting lubricant on the center pin.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone