[Amps] Junk Connectors, Junk Coax

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Apr 8 14:49:15 EDT 2021

On 4/8/2021 7:06 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I am now slowly changing out all UHF Chinese junk to branded N types

Junk connectors are a scourge. In North America, if it isn't vintage MIL
spec or Amphenol, it's junk. I learned this the hard way. When getting
back on the air in 2003 after 20+ years off, I stocked up with lots of
those cheap adapters from hamfest vendors. Over the next six years, they
cause me no end of grief. Some fell apart, some overheated with power
during a contest because the center conductor in an elbow was a tiny
spring, some caused exactly the sort of intermittent or power handling
problem that Frank is experiencing.

There is ZERO need for any thing better than a well-installed 83-1SP (no
suffix) below 2M. The hand wringing about non-constant impedance is the
result of a failure to understand transmission line fundamentals. Nearly
all of my coax (except for RG400 jumpers) is foam, and I've never had an
issue with it melting because I use good quality coax from known
factories, I use a 	quality iron and a good bench vise to hold the work,
and coax is all Belden, Commscope, or Davis RF. I have nothing sold as
"LMR400 equivalent." And I have a lot of hard line.