[Amps] Alpha 87A Won't Transmit

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 9 10:17:02 EDT 2021

> It is best to not fan out the shield, but cut it about ¼" past the
> jacket and tin the shield  into copper tube,
> then screw the connector on to the cable, threaded onto the jacket
> and solder through the FOUR holes from the connector to the tinned
> shield.

I cut the jacket back a little longer when preparing the shield....
maybe three inches and pull the black outer jacket forward just enough
to expose the braid for soldering. This keeps the shield braid tight for
soldering.  Once tinned, pull the jacket off and use a box cutter to
gently score the soldered braid leaving about 3/8 to1/2 inch of braid.
Don't cut into the foam dielectric just yet.  Pull the three inch jacket
and braid off the end, leaving the inner foam exposed.  Use the box
cutter to cut the foam to the center conductor about a 16th of an inch
past the cut shield. ( careful not to nick the center conductor )   Now
put the back shell on the cable in the right direction ( yep--- been
there and forgot to do that )    Screw it in tight ... compressing the
short center foam up against the PL259 insulator.

I also use a drill bit two sizes larger than the existing solder holes
open up the holes to make the soldering flow easier.

Done this way, you will have a connection that won't short due to braid
"whiskers"  and it will support your weight ... you won't pull it apart.

Don W4DNR