[Amps] PL259 Connector Debate

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Fri Apr 9 17:17:35 EDT 2021

Hi Tim and the group,
There are many ways to skin a cat, and I applaud your technical prowess (and patience!)in successfully assembling hundreds of PL259 connectors.

That said, many of us still struggle to install PL259s that are reliable and trouble-free. Me especially. (I have a bag of unused outer shells from PL259 installs I botched and had to toss.) But I've finally learned my lesson, so here are my current criteria for the "perfect" PL259. Others will have different priorities.

W8ZR's Perfect PL259:
    1. Requires minimal practice to perfect the assembly technique
    2. Must be quick to install (max of 10 mins)
    3. Must never damage the cable
    4. Must last a decade or more, even with frequent use
    5. Must withstand pulling, twisting, flexing
    6. Must work with all cables in the same family (e.g. RG213 and LMR400)
    7. Must not require soldering to the cable shield
    8. Must not use a crimped center conductor
    9. Should resist cross-threading and not work loose
    10 Should be unaffected by heat and cold
    11 Must be precision-made with quality components
    12.Long-term reliability is more important than rock-bottom cost.

For me, the big decision came two years ago, when I stopped using PL259s that required soldering to the shield. I'd tried many techniques, from using 200W soldering guns, to propane torches, but I still ended up with cables I was never completely sure about. Cable damage can't be seen once the connector is assembled. I also learned the hard way that one-dollar, hamfest bargain PL259s, despite their gold-plated glitzy appearance, often
caused problems, most recently micro-arcing in the center conductor caused by poor fit. I had always been skeptical of crimp-on connectors, which struck me as Radio Shack quality, unreliable, and prone to pulling loose.
But modern crimp coax connectors are very different. They are exceedingly
strong and reliable (which is why the military uses them). I had to invest in a good crimp tool, but it was the best investment I ever made in terms of peace of mind and time saved. My advice, unless you're totally satisfied with your current connectors, is at least to try out a couple of the DXE Next Generation PL259s and see what you think. They cost about $3. You'll need a crimp tool, but good ratcheting ones can be found for $50-$100.
73,
Jim W8ZR