[Amps] 572B/T160L tube class C

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Thu Aug 19 22:33:09 EDT 2021

How much service do you expect from a new set of tubes?  It's one thing
to know "it can do it, if I want" - but then not actually need the
capability.  It's another thing if you are saying "I want to run a 572b
24/7 at full output."

About 10 years ago I was working on a SB200 which was initially setup to
run RTTY.  I did quite a lot of profiling of those using the Chinese
tubes of the era.  Watching very carefully to respect the Pd max of the
tubes, I found a typical 25% drop in Po over about 100 hours of
testing.  The testing was typically 3-15 minutes key down 100% carrier
per interval.  Plus on-band rag chew, contesting & DX (this was pre FT8).

Carl is about a million times more experienced than I am but I think
maybe the Pd spec vs. actual was a bit optimistic for the Chinese tubes
I had because this drop off seemed excessive. However my abuse of those
tubes, compared to typical ham use, was really bad.  Also the SB200
positions the tube horizontally which may be a factor as is the
generally poor circulation even with my augmented cooling.

In the end, I abandoned the 572b and went with the GI7T which was an
excellent performer by comparison although it required quite a lot of
changes to the SB200.  Unless there is a specific reason to use the
572b, if I were building a high duty cycle amp in the future, I would
probably want to use a metal/ceramic type tube instead of a glass one.

Good luck!

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com