[Amps] Alpha 87A Power Supply Question

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue May 4 22:52:12 EDT 2021

>"You cannot use the neutral as a substitute for the equipment ground unless it is being re-used for a replacement clothes dryer, range, or oven, and even then, only under a specific set of conditions (NEC 250.140 if you're interested)."

Having a quick look at NEC 250.140, it sets forth four rules under the exception, but I was surprised that a fifth rule does not require a single receptacle on the branch circuit -- unless it's covered elsewhere.  As written, it seems that multiple receptacles can exist on the branch and depending on the neutral routing through the remaining receptacles, it may not present a low enough impedance back to the serving panel to function as a quasi-grounding conductor for an equipment ground even if rule 2 (10 AWG Cu/8 AWG AL) is adhered to.  OTOH and as a practical matter, it's common in home installations for ranges, cooktops and dryers to be the only device on their serving 240V branch circuits.

Paul, W9AC