[Amps] Alpha 87A Power Supply Question

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Wed May 5 20:01:19 EDT 2021

Hi Jeff and Jim,
I happily defer to your greater knowledge of electrical codes, about
which I know very little. I also understand that amateur equipment
powered off 240VAC should have four conductor power cords and internal
circuitry that separates chassis ground from Neutral. In that
circumstance, AC imbalance currents then return safely through the
neutral wire, while no load current flows into the ground connection.
No question that is the ideal setup, to which we should all aspire.

Unfortunately, the practicalities are quite different. Like it or not,
there are thousands of ham amplifiers in active use around the world
which violate this ideal by commingling chassis ground and Neutral. My
Drake L4B amplifier, for example, is serial number 1670, and dates
from about 1980. The schematic diagram for the L4B power supply shows
a three-wire power cord, with the wires labeled L1, L2, and Ground.
The Ground terminal is shown as a hex nut on the power supply
enclosure, helpfully labeled “Power Line Ground.” Nowhere is there any
mention of a Neutral connection.  I’m guessing that the majority of
these 40 year-old amplifiers are still operational.( At least they
command a premium price on the used market.)  Plus the thousands of
30S1s, 30L1s, KWS1s, Viking 500s and, National NC2000s, and multitude
of other vintage amps and transmitters,

Realistically, few  amateurs are going to attempt to rewire their
vintage gear to conform to modern 4-wire code standards. In many
cases, that would be near-impossible. Instead, they have a simple
question: Is it better to hook the third wire of, say, their Drake
power cord to power line Ground, or possibly to a water pipe or ground
rod, or maybe connect it to the neutral wire of their three-conductor
dryer outlet. Or, if they have a newish home, should they hook it to
the Ground terminal of their new dryer outlet with its green
conductor, or to the Neutral terminal with its white conductor?
Frankly, most hams, myself included, don’t know or care much about the
electrical code. They want to hook up their radios as easily as
possible and as safely as possible. They are less concerned about
whether something is “permissible” or not. They won’t answer the
doorbell when the electrical inspector comes knocking.

So, gentlemen, what do recommend they do, given these choices: (A)
hook the third wire to Neutral on the outlet box. (B) hook the third
wire to Ground on the outlet box, if that terminal exists. (C) hook
the third wire to Neutral and ground the amp chassis to a ground rod
outside the shack window.

My pick, given these choices, is (C). I base my choice on
understanding the current flow, which I’ve already described, not on
some hypothetical code violation. I realize that choice (C) is not
perfect. But then, it won’t kill me or cause the house to burn down,
either. It is, I believe, the lesser of evils.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPad