[Amps] QRO Technologies HF2000 plate choke, cont.

John Keating john.keating at outlook.com
Sun Nov 7 21:16:27 EST 2021

Hello again list,

I received a few responses to my last post including and some photos of the plate choke from the original QRO HR2000 amps. They seem to be close wound with something like 120 turns on the 1.5" diameter delrin form, giving about 175uH. I tried winding a few versions like that and find resonances in the ham bands. I'm wondering how the other amps work in that condition.

Second, bigger issue, that drove me to investigate the OEM choke design is that the Ameritron plate chokes I have been using in that amp burn in their center sections on tune-up key down on 10m. Looking for suggestions to remedy that problem.

73, John
AI6LY