[Amps] QRO Technologies HF2000 plate choke, cont.

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP k2vco.vic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 03:04:55 EST 2021

One procedure to test and adjust a choke is this:

1. Short it in place and check for resonances in the ham bands with a
GDO. The short makes it possible to find series resonances. Leave the
tube and everything else in place (I don't need to add power off and
caps discharged!)

2. If you find any dips within a couple of hundred kHz of a ham band,
remove a turn or two and check again. Don't cut the wire in case you
want to wind it back.

There is probably an easier method with a VNA, but I know this one
works. It can be a little frustrating because when you move the
resonance away from one band, you can easily create one in another.

FWIW I've used the Ameritron choke in several commercial and homebrew
amps with no problems.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel