[Amps] Alpha 91b anomaly

Charlie Young weeksmgr at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 08:39:32 EDT 2021

Hello Lou

Your post reminded me of an issue with a friend’s 91b.  Gosh it is has been 10 years ago now.  It may be common for those who do amp repairs as a business to find this but it was a first for me.

The amp HV section would work fine but only if you unplugged the transformer connector on the LV transformer windings.   If you unplugged the HV secondary connector, all the LV circuits worked fine.  All the voltages are supplied by a common transformer.   The transformer had an internal fault between the HV winding and the filament winding.   Only if you had both winding connected to the amp did the problem (HV short) manifest.

I called Alpha and ordered a transformer, which fortunately they had.   The individual at Alpha did not believe the transformer was bad, so it must not be a common failure.  They expected I would be returning it.   Well, the transformer was bad.  I still have the defective one.

These are nice amps and the repaired one is still going strong with original tubes (WD8CCC).

73 Charlie N8RR