[Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?

MU 4CX250B 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Tue Dec 13 12:21:02 EST 2022

An interesting point, Steve. If I understand you, you’re saying that
if a modern diode in a series string approaches reverse breakdown, it
will start to conduct, thus shifting its overload voltage to other
diodes in the string. Before the advent of controlled avalanche
diodes, however, an overloaded diode would just short circuit, thus
permanently shifting its voltage to the remaining diodes in the
string. This process, once started, would likely lead to the
destruction of the entire string.  To me, the takeaway message is that
there’s little to be gained these days by adding .01uF caps to each
diode. This is a helpful explanation, Steve. Thanks!
73,
Jim W8ZR
Sent from my iPhone