[Amps] .01uf caps across diodes ?

Ron W4BIN ka4inm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:52:44 EST 2022

    MU 4CX250B wrote:

> An interesting point, Steve. If I understand you, you’re saying that
> if a modern diode in a series string approaches reverse breakdown, it
> will start to conduct, thus shifting its overload voltage to other
> diodes in the string. Before the advent of controlled avalanche
> diodes, however, an overloaded diode would just short circuit, thus
> permanently shifting its voltage to the remaining diodes in the
> string. This process, once started, would likely lead to the
> destruction of the entire string.  To me, the takeaway message is that

   No that has never been the case, "controlled avalanche diodes" of a
particular type all avalanche at the same Voltage.*
Otherwise the lowest reverse Voltage device could avalanche and present a
very low resistance, (causing an increase in reverse Voltage across the
rest)
then the next lowest Voltage device could avalanche until they would all
avalanche at which time, the current would destroy most until one "blows
open"
ending the catastrophe.

   Zener diodes below about 6.2 Volts are true Zener diodes, above about
6.8
Volts are "controlled avalanche diodes" and as long as they are conducting
reverse current less than Imax they are not harmed.

  * in our high Voltage operations a tighter grouping of avalanche Voltages
can be maintained by buying in lots like of 50 or 100 and keeping the
batches separate and constructing strings all from the same batch.

--
    Ron  W4BIN - Understanding is much better than
                                       knowing how.MX