[Amps] Requesting opinions on a Drake L-4b's tubes

Steven Katz stevek at jmr.com
Fri Dec 23 19:43:37 EST 2022

I didn't understand the original post, either.

800mA Ip is not overdriven if the Ig is below 300mA.   800mA is the rated Ip for two 3-500Zs, and they're rated for that under CCS (broadcast) conditions; they can surely handle 1A Ip intermittently, like SSB voice peaks.

But you can't tune up at reduced drive, then just increase drive without re-tuning.  The LOAD control has a pretty big effect on grid current and if the amp is lightly loaded, grid current may be excessive and efficiency poor.