[Amps] Requesting opinions on a Drake L-4b's tubes

gudguyham at aol.com gudguyham at aol.com
Fri Dec 23 21:04:08 EST 2022

Henry amplifies ran a pair of 3-500 tubes up to 2000 watts output.  You simply can’t over drive a pair of 3-500’s with a Drake L4 amplifier unless you drive it with 125watts or more.  That doesn’t mean you can’t ruin the tubes!!!!  Improper loading will cause tube damage but it won’t be from over driving with 100 watts or less.  Like Henry amps did to get 2000 watts pep output without over driving.  They could obtain this by using 4000 volts on the plate.  WHAT DOES KILL 3-500 TUBES IS OVER DISSIPATION.   You can easily over dissipate the tubes with improper loading and mode selection at increased time intervals.  Also remember that by merely operating lower output does not mean you are doing any good deeds for the tubes versus higher output.  It’s possible to run the amp at a lower power and dissipate more heat than at higher power by running the amp at a lower efficiency range.  Many people are way to anal about grid current on 3-500 tubes!!!  The grids are very hearty on these tubes and running high power SSB will not hurt the grids even when loaded to a maximum of 200ma each.  Be concerned about running AM with its inefficient carrier.  I can go on but I think you get the point.

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS