[Amps] 8877

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Jan 26 14:36:31 EST 2022

My traumatic case pre-dated the ca. 1988 heat dam issue...

During my college years, I was employed by WYBR-FM in Rockford, IL in 1979.
The station is licensed to Belvidere but serves the Rockford metro.  At the
time, it was a 3KW station with a TPO of 2,250 W.  Tower height was 300 ft.
and supported a 3-bay circularly-polarized ERI rototiller antenna.
Transmission line was 1-5/8 Andrew Heliax.  So, taking into account antenna
gain and line loss, licensed TPO was 2,250W to make 3KW ERP from a single
Eimac 8877.  The station operated 24/7 at that power level.

When I first arrived for work, the one and only 8877 was black as charcoal,
but it still produced full power although grid current was excessive owing
to the fact that it had to be driven harder to make licensed power.   The
transmitter had been neglected and the air filter was extremely dirty which
resulted in low air volume and the reason for the tube turning black.  I
don't recall if the PA cavity had a pressure vane switch which would have
prevented the overheating -- or if it was bypassed by a prior engineer.
Regardless, it overheated.

I drove to Richardson RF in the Chicago suburbs and purchased a new Eimac
8877 at the will-call counter.   I then drove back to Rockford with the new
tube and installed it at midnight.

I could not get more than 500W from the new tube.  I made a second attempt
and drove back to Richardson RF for a replacement.  The replacement was
installed but had the same issue.  Maybe three time's a charm?  Not in my
case.  Richardson was reluctant to give a third 8877 to a 19 year old kid
but after explaining my dilemma, they agreed.  The third 8877 was tried but
it still could not make more than 500W TPO.  I had investigated all related
components,  confirmed voltages, etc.  It just HAD to be the tube.

By this time, the owner of the station was concerned with my ability to
solve the problem.  In a move of desperation, I contacted Eimac's Ken
Atkinson at the SLC plant. He gave me pre-paid authorization to overnight
the third tube to SLC for analysis.   After cutting open the tube, they
determined that the cathode was poisoned during manufacturing.  He
immediately sent me a known good 8877.

My hands must have been trembling as I inserted the tube in the transmitter.
The transmitter had the usual 5 minute filament time-delay to adequately
heat the cathode.  After waiting what seemed like hours, I hit the
transmitter's "plate" switch and the transmitter easily made full power.

I was able to save my job, thanks to Ken Atkinson.

Paul, W9AC