[Amps] AL1200 weak receive

Ed Swiderski, KU4BP ku4bp at triad.rr.com
Fri Jul 29 12:30:57 EDT 2022

I have a confusing problem with my AL1200. During operation when the
stdby/oper is on, the received signal is very weak. Switching back to
standby and the signal level is fine. Checked the relay and it was
operating correctly. Engaging with 12v applied to it. With no power to
the amp and a rx signal going through, manually engaging the relay
weakens the signal. Releasing it and it's back to normal. Cleaned the
contacts using the method described by W8JI on his site. Still no go.
Stumped on where to look next to track this down. A tests on another
radio produced the same results.

With no power to the amp, I connected my RigExpert analyzer to the "RF
in" and a dummy load to "RF out". Doing a sweep, the SWR reads around
1:1. Engaging the relay by hand shoots the SWR very high. Goes back down
when released.

That's the best symptoms I can give. Any suggestions would be an immense
help.

Thank you,
Ed KU4BP