[Amps] Phase and amplitude of 2 tube amplifiers

Conrad PA5Y g0ruz at g0ruz.com
Thu Oct 13 13:39:20 EDT 2022

I have had some very interesting replies.

However, I should clarify that I have been running CP on 144MHz EME since 2015 and with good success. I fully understand the implications of this and that there is a 3dB loss from CP to linear polarisation. However, on TX it means that you are always heard no matter what spatial offset is present but most importantly the effect of Faraday rotation is largely negated. There are ways of compensating for the 3dB loss, I expect that the readers of this group will understand how 😊

I have also looked at the effect of phase and amplitude errors in a simplistic way and I know that less than 15deg phase error is perfectly acceptable. My TX hardware from the shack to the antenna is proven. With a single amplifier and a 2 ways splitter I already produce excellent CP.  What I must do is match the phase and amplitudes of 2 amplifiers. That is what I am interested in and from the replies I have had so far it appears that this should be possible.

I would be most happy to hear from anybody who has experience of phase and amplitude stability of tetrode amplifiers at VHF or above. There are many experienced members of this group.

Many thanks

Conrad PA5Y