[Amps] 10 kw CCS on 6M

sm0aom at telia.com sm0aom at telia.com
Tue Sep 13 01:13:53 EDT 2022

Having worked with really big transmitters; Telefunken 100 kW ISB and Thomson-CSF 500 kW carrier AM,
tune-up works in very similar ways for all practical purposes.

First the low-power drive stages are peaked up for maximum drive voltage to the penultimate
driver grid. After this, the procedures differ somewhat between linear amplifiers for ISB and AM transmitters that are
Class C in the drivers and PA stages.

A servo-tuned ISB transmitter uses the phase relations between the grid and plate circuits to establish resonance,
and then is the plate circuits and their coupling circuits adjusted to present the proper load-lines to the tubes.
Finally, the drive level is adjusted so the proper output power and linearity is reached.

In order for this to work properly, the tuned circuits need to be pre-set quite closely to their final positions.
This was mostly accomplished by measuring the input frequency and use this information to access tables of stored
tuning information, either established after the last successful tuning operation, or at the design stage of the amplifier.

"Before computers" this was done by dividing the tuning range of the amplifier into many sub-ranges and then use the measured frequency for choosing one of the ranges with its preset information. After this, "Auto-tune" mechanisms with servo motors were first brought to their initial positions, and after this phase and load-line discriminators took over control.

Class-C transmitters used grid and plate currents to establish resonance conditions, and were tuned progressively from the drivers to the final stages at reduced power. As the final step, the drive was increased to reach the proper carrier output level before high-level modulation could be applied.

The Thomson-CSF transmitters did not servo-tune in the proper sense of the word, but used stored settings for each frequency. Instead, the servo-motors brought the tuning elements to their pre-set positions without any room for adjustments.  This worked well because the tuning settings become quite broad when operating into a broad-band antenna, and there are no critical linearity specifications for a Class-C AM transmitter.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM