[antennaware] Open wire for elements

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 12:07:27 -0400

Steve

My experience with ladder line as an antenna is that it is mechanically
poor.  The #18 conductors on typical ladderline aren't strong enough
for 80 meter dipole lengths.  Maybe heavier versions are OK,
but I don't see #14 ladder line very often, then it's expensive.  And
definitely avoid the plastic-coated twin-lead type with the square cutouts!

Recommendation ---

You can use good hard-drawn copper or copperweld wire as the
longest dipole, taking most of the load.  Then use the ladder line for the
other bands.  I'm not sure what the best method is for hanging the
ladder line from the main wire, but browsing around a good hardware
store should turn up something!  For example, bicycle flag masts or
driveway reflectors use 1/4-inch fiberglass rod (or something similar)
that can be cut and drilled to make strong spacers.

73,

Gary Breed, K9AY
gary@noblepub.com