[Antennaware] Question

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Fri Oct 31 14:06:39 EST 2003

I also have had problems over the long term with "sealed" connectors. Back
when I was in broadcasting, I was always getting water in supposedly
weatherproof N connectors, even when sealed with rubber tape or RTV type
sealant.  This would develop over a couple years' time, so I suspect it is a
problem with temperature swing.

Now, I do not seal my connectors, hoping that they will dry out easier in
warm or dry weather.  I try to install them with protection from direct
exposure to rain, usually with loops that can be covered with a hood (like
an upside-down bucket). Other ideas are welcome.

I will be starting on a new antenna farm next year, so this is subject of
great interest.  I have obtained a number of surplus DIN 7-16 connectors,
and hope that their design will allow them to stay sealed over time.

FYI, this was not an issue when I lived in Coloado! But it was a big deal in
Georgia where there was plenty of rain, fog, dew etc. I never saw bare steel
rust as fast as it did down there. Now I'm in Wisconsin, where temperature
change is more of an issue.

73, Gary
K9AY

PS -- This is probably more appropriate for Tower Talk but I'm glad to see
the traffic on this reflector, and the 'noise level' on TT is awfully high.

> Mike etal,
>
> Sealing an RF coax connector is a constant problem. When I moved to New
> England (from San Jose) in 1974, everyone up here said "get some silicon
> grease (I think they called it DC-4?) and squeeze it into the connector to
> keep out water and then seal the connector with electrical tape.
>
> I did what they recommended but a few years later I started to have
> problems. It turned out that small droplets of water did somehow got in
and
> migrated into the silicon grease. Eventually it caused an RF path and I
had
> flash overs that blew up the connectors on VHF with moderate power (500
Watts).