[Antennaware] Summary of replies: Designing L-Networks for antenna matching

David Gould david.gould at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 8 21:55:38 EST 2004

I have had a good number of replies, for which I am very grateful.
Thanks to all those who sent advice.
I will briefly summarize what I have discovered.

Nec2go   www.nec2go.com  is a commercial antenna modelling package which
has a network design component.  The demo version does not allow you to
enter your own values of R and jX. it can only use the values that come out
of the antenna modelling.    I believe the full version does allow the
entry of your own values, it gives all four solutions where appropriate.

There is also   http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/mmana/    This is also an
antenna modelling package but is freeware.
The network design tool is hidden, you have to go to 'Options' and then
'Options and Setup'   I could only get it to produce two possible solutions
when in practice there are sometimes four.

There is also this link which is obviously not very well known as it has
only been accessed about 70 times since 1997.  But does exactly what I
wanted, plus a lot more with T , PI and various other combinations.
http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Research/RF/projects/60GHz/matching/ImpMatch.html

Finally I have been told that there is a program on the CD with the latest
ARRL antenna handbook which does the calculations.  I have not been able to
check this out.

I hope this might be useful to other people.

73,
Dave G3UEG