[Antennaware] Low RF Output on Butternut Vertical Help???

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Tue Oct 18 22:22:44 EDT 2005

Dan,

I have seen this before, but it's been a long time and can't recall the
particulars.

Either your SWR meter is lying to you (calibration or someting broke) or
there is problem that is taking a different route -- e.g. RF floating around
that is either affecting SWR/power meter readings or getting into the radio.

Remember that with a Bird wattmeter, the actual power to the antenna is the
indicated forward power minus the indicated reflected power.

Try to isolate the problem's location -- How do things work into a dummy
load?  And with the dummy load at the antenna end of the coax? (bad cable or
connector = other possible culprits).

73, Gary
K9AY