[Antennaware] Modeling Software -

Dallas W3PP w3pp.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:23:23 EST 2009

Norm,

I am sure that there are a lot of fine modeling programs out there.  They
are only as good as the data that you input.  Most don't have the capacity
to include all the variables that you will encounter in the real world.
Thus, there is a certain degree of "smoke and mirrors" involved.

I use EZNEC 4 and Antenna Model (AM).  Both are excellent programs that
input data totally differently.  They also have different capabilities and
features.  AM allows for an automated iterative process for optimizing a
Yagi.  I find that the results of the two programs correlate very closely.
When they do not, I always find that I have erred on one or the other.  More
importantly, antennas that I have constructed from these models perform very
closely to the modeled parameters (those that I can measure).

73, Dallas W3PP

I would like to know from some of those who are active in modeling antennas
what software is being used. If more then one source, what correlation
issues have been observed. I don't think that the high end programs using
NEC-4 engine are applicable to this query.

I have been a user of the early DOS based Antenna Optimizer (AO) which was a
good learning tool, simple to load information and easy to iterate
parameters. At my introduction to this program, it was no longer being
supported by the author.

My early modeling activity included a DOS version of EZNEC which soon was
upgraded to versions 3, then V 4 (most often used). EZNEC 4 was primarily
used in the design of both mono-band and multi-band multi-element quads. The
number of segments that could be processed was a limitation in the earlier
software packages.

LB Cebik was a frequent source of modeling information on modeling
technique. I have also taken the ARRL Modeling course (heavilly influenced
by LB) and began using NECWIN-Plus, which is now my program of choice. The
primary reason is that the data is entered into a spreadsheet format.

The spreadsheet has most of the features of any spreadsheet, with the
attendant use of equations, formulas, etc. to modify variables. It was easy
to express antenna element parameters as variables that are easily iterated,
and propagated through the entire design. Important in quads were data is
essentially replicated 4 times for each element side.

It is possible to create element formulas that changing one value on the
spreadsheet could result in changing the antenna from vertical to horizontal
polarity (rotate 90deg about the boom axis).

The above sort of summarizes my background in the use of modeling software -
my question to the group is -
what software are you using?
What type of antennas designs are you most experienced in?

I am most interested in those of you who are using NECWIN-Plus, and the
types of antenna experience. The purpose is of course to share the
experiences. Hopefully this discussion will be considered On Topic.

Regards,

Norm W4QN