[Antennaware] 2 element tribanders

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Tue Sep 22 11:19:33 PDT 2009

John,

In general, tribanders with longer elements should be more efficient, and
generally get better reviews by their users. Of the ones you mention, the
TH-2 and TA-32 fit the above criteria, but do not cover 17 and 12 (but may
be quite usable with a tuner). Don't know about Force 12 after the recent
ownership change, but the C-3S is another choice. I've also known a number
of hams with the Cushcraft A-3 tribander on a roof tripod.

Another option is a rotatable dipole, especially if you can get it higher.
Modeling shows that when you go from 25 to 40 feet, a 20M dipole has 2 dB
more gain, with a much lower takeoff angle. This option is especially
attractive if you can get a free old tribander with an intact driven
element! I did this with a CL-33 d.e. some years back; it worked well.

73, Gary
K9AY