[Antennaware] Hybrid tube/wire 18MHz Moxon

David Gould dave at g3ueg.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 02:33:41 PDT 2011

I would like to build a Moxon antenna for 18MHz.  It will only be
used as a temporary antenna.

For mechanical reasons I would like to implement the long sides in
ali tube, and the short sides with wire.  (It will be supported by an
existing fibreglass X-frame)

I have used one of the Moxon generating tools to give me the required
dimensions for a wire (2mm) antenna, and when I import into EZNEC it
models perfectly.

I then used the tool to give me the required dimensions for 1/2inch
(12.5mm) tube, when modelled in EZNEC it resonated significantly HF,
but I could bring back to resonance and maintain the feed impedance
by lengthening the elements.

I then changed the model to keep the long dimension as tube and then
altered the short dimensions to wire (2mm).  The feed impedance and
the resonant frequency change significantly.  I have tried a few
trial-and-error alterations to the model but am not getting anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.  In particular can anyone advise on
which characteristics of the antenna contribute the most to
determining the feed impedance (which dropped to about 40ohms).

Thanks in advance,

73,
Dave, G3UEG