[Antennaware] Using YO to analyze stacked Yagis

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Feb 26 12:35:52 PST 2012

Welll...

Just a couple of comments.  A stack of 2-element beams can be effective
if you get the spacing right.  I have a stack of C-3s, and did a lot of
modeling with EZNEC back in the day.  Wound up with the best compromise
(for these tribanders) at 28 feet, somewhat closer than generally used
for TH-7s and the like.

This stack is quite good.  I've found, however, that top alone is rarely
better, because the take-off angle at maximum gain is the same as for
the stack, but the lobe is narrower.  Bottom only, by contrast, produces
a usefully-higher first lobe, and quite often produces higher run rates
late in an opening.  The stack would have been more flexible if I could
have stacked a third one between the bottom one and ground, but my tower
wouldn't take it.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000