[Antennaware] Trap design

dan edwards w5xz at att.net
Wed May 29 10:40:18 EDT 2019

 dave
i think w8ji has some stuff about traps on his website; might merit a look.
my experience with rf doorknobs outdoors, they don't like to get wet..
jm2c, 73 w5xz, dan

    On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 9:34:43 AM CDT, David Gould <dave at g3ueg.co.uk> wrote:

 Yes, I know traps are a compromise and some people don't like them, but
my feeling is that it is often the design and construction that are the
main problems.

I plan to build one for 15m (for a 15m/20m elevated vertical) using a
heavy duty doorknob capacitor and small diameter copper tube for the
inductor, which should optimise the construction issue.

Question 1)  What should the design frequency be?  I vaguely remember
reading somewhere that the design freq should **NOT** be the middle of
the higher freq band (eg 21.225 in this case) but on some other freq
somewhere between 21MHz and 14MHz.  I have done several Google searches
and cannot find any references, in particular I would like to know the
reasoning behind doing this, and  how using such a mid-freq affects the
length of the two parts of the antenna?

Question 2)  Are there likely to be any issues measuring the resonant
freq of a trap using a RigExpert AA-54 analyser, or is there a better
way?    Again I vaguely remember reading that a dip oscillator is the
best way, but I don't have access to one.

73,

Dave, G3UEG / K1MDX