[CCF] [TOEC] Sponsered extra SAC trophies

Petri Keskinen oh3mep at radiola.fi
Fri Aug 12 15:28:44 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm not sure if TOEC list is accepting mails from non-subscribers. Maybe
someone can forward this if he thinks it's worth publishing there also?

I agree you all, a sponsored plague would be a nice for the winner. But I
still don't believe that it would have an remarkable influence on the the
activity. There are not too many potential winners chasing the limited
number of available plagues. And another reason is that the organizer
needs to be able to announce in advance which plagues will be available to
be able to effect the activity. I suppose even CQ contest plagues are not
known at the time of the contest? So SAC needs to do it better if we
decide to do it!

An example: Jarts RTTY, few years ago the rules were so that they sent a
plague for winners only for categories where there was at least 20 logs
received. We (oh6r) did win world multi op class one year, but there were
only 18 (or so) multiop class logs received. We never received even an
award. Haven't operated Jarts RTTY since that! Looks like they have
updated the rules recently, I'm wondering if that was due to my feedback.

I don't know how much would it cost to sponsor one plague + shipping,
maybe someone can share that information?

I do remember some 20 years ago I did spend entire weekend on the bands
chasing Italian stations. I suppose that was one of my first contest, very
modest setup and not too much experience either. But I was well motivated
and able to make 300 qsos with Italian stations and received a free ARI
T-shirt.

Maybe someone has access to old logs and can estimate what has been the
average qso total of Europeans and DXs. It would be also interesting to
know what is the amount of available Scandinavian stations/qsos. Would it
be 200 or 300 qsos for European station to qualify the special price (like
a T shirt or a mug)? Both CW and SSB qsos would be added and total amount
would count. Number would be much less for DX stations.

Printing even 100 or 200 pcs of T shirts is not that expensive, mailing
them is most likely more expensive. I suppose it might be able to find
sponsors, companies or even individuals to cover costs.

In my opinion this might have bigger effect on the amount of activity. Of
course we need to do our best to increase the activity on Scandinavian end
 at the same time. IMHO the current Scandinavian Cup is not the best way
to  try to increase activity.

Sure there is not enough time to promote anything like this before SAC
2011, so I'll pass the idea to SSA for year 2012.

73,
pete
oh3/k0ssu