No subject

george554 at austin.relay.ucm.org george554 at austin.relay.ucm.org
Tue Nov 10 22:21:10 EST 1992

someone said that they would be interested in what some of the big stations
are using for antennas etc.  we have seen alot about the 15 stations at
n2rm, w3lpl and n5au -- i guess all the 15m ops from those stations are
in the group here.  here is a discription of n5au as of nov 1992.
we had a wind storm and lost a 40m beam 3 weeks before the world wide.
i have noted that antenna.  does anyone one here have any experince with
any of the full size 40m beams now on the market (we need a new one).

160m -	3   1/2 wave sloping dipoles -- they slope from the 180' level
	    of a 190 tower -- bisecting the guy wires. 	NE, SE, & W.

80m -	3ele delta loop tops at 160' bottoms at 90' fixed on 60deg.(EU or so)
	E-W broadside dipole @ 170'
	N-S     "       "    @ 150'
	NE-SE   "       "    @ 130'
	NW-SE bobtail (ja-sa)
	NE-SW bobtail (eu-vk/zl)

40m -	3ele 46'boom telrex @ 120' (the broken/destroyed antenna/dipole now)
	2ele x 2ele 40-2cds @ 190'/ 120' bottom fixed on EU
	4ele quad 80'tops, 40'bottom fixed on EU (put up till 3 ele beam fixed)

20m -	5ele 46' boom telrex @ 190'
	5ele 46' boom telrex @ 100'
	4ele quad @ 80'
	204ba     @ 70'
	204ba fixed on SA @ 50'
	204ba stack @ 140'/ 70' fixed on EU

15m -	5ele 32' boom telrex @ 175'
	5ele  "   "     "   stack @ 135'/ 90' fixed on EU
	5ele  "   "     "   stack @ 70'/70'(70' apart side by side fixed on JA)
	5ele  "   "     "    @ 60'
	4ele cushcraft (modified spacings) stack @ 90'/45' fixed on SA
	4ele cushcraft (stock) fixed on South Pacific @ 135'

10m -	6ele telrex @ 120'
	6ele telrex @ 80'
	4ele cushcraft stack 80'/50' fixed on EU
	4ele cushcraft stack 90'/60' fixed on JA (not sure on heights)
	5ele telrex @ 50'

6m -	6ele 32' boom cushcraft @ 70'
	5ele homebrew 17' boom @ 70'
	4ele hygain stack 40'/20' fixed northeast

2m -	17ele hygain (very very old) @ 75'
	db224 4 bay dipole at 130' (vertical)

70cm -	one of them loooooonnnnng cushcraft 20+ foot boom antennas
	with lots of elements. @ 5
5'

	we have four single wire beverages that sometimes work.

n5au does not have any radios at his house -- he does have 4 alpha 77 amps
(1x8877) and one alpha 76a (2x8874) this is our 160m amp. the rest of the
equipment -- radios,computer,amps etc. is supplied by the ops that come out.
then we build a multi-multi station. for anyone who has never put on a multi
effort -- it is an amazing amount of W-O-R-K.

the vhf bands are usually on using the callsign KM5X.

thats it.
geoiii "i can do this off the top of my head" wb5vzl