Swamp Guy Anchors

Steve Fraasch Steve_Fraasch at ATK.COM
Wed Aug 25 14:48:52 EDT 1993

I've designed a guy anchor system for my upcoming tower project using A.B.
Chance Co. 8", 10" double helix "SS" anchors.  I've designed it for a
retaining force of 20K lbs, the limit where all 3 ea 1/4" EHS guy wires would
snap.

Does anyone else have experience installing anchors from the A.B. Chance Co?

Specifically, I'm looking for power hand installing equipment.  I've located a
couple of Kelly Bar PTO trucks, but I must wait for winter when there's enough
ice to drive on.  The A.B. Chance rep says that hand equipment will work for
installing torques up to 2.5K ft-lbs; I need only 2K ft-lbs.

If anyone is interested in these anchor systems, you can request the design
book, "Principles & Applications of Earth Anchors," from A. B. Chance Co., 210
N. Allen St., Centralia, Mo., 65240-1395, 314-682-5521.
You will immediately see the advantages of needing to dig holes for deadman
anchors, especially if you're going in wet, inaccessible soil, as I am.  These
systems are much larger than the small screw anchors that Rohn sells in their
tower books, and can be used to support up to 100k lb tensions.

Steve, K0SF