Callsign Selection Algorithms

pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet at gte.com pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet at gte.com
Thu Dec 16 11:23:52 EST 1993

Subject: Callsign Selection Algorithms

1. Don't get a call that ends in K - half the time it will get missed
in CW.
2. Don't get a call that ends in dit - the other half of the time it
will get missed on CW.
3. Don't get a call that has too many Q/Y/Zs - they are long on CW and
have lousy phonetics.
4. Don't get a call that has letters that look like numbers: 1/I, 5/S, 8/B,
0/O.
5. Don't get a call that has a suffix similiar to any other big time
contester - you will get erroneously duped. This eliminates the combinations
AR, SS, ZO, LR, MM, RM, etc.
6. Don't get a call where the two letters in the suffix can be confused for
some other two letters, like TU for DT.
7. Shorter is better.
8. Look for maximum average syllabic power.

I have run these rules (culled from the CQ-CONTEST reflector) through a
sophisticated parallel processing, fuzzy logic, neural net processor and
came up with only one possible callsign that meets all criteria:

WA4D

The only rule it misses is that it ends in a dit.

As a guest op I've used a lot of different calls. My favorite contesting one
is K3RT, nice rhythm on CW, decent phonetics on phone. My favorite CW
call, though, is the call of the first Alaskan station I ever worked:
KL7FSV - CW poetry. The worst I have ever tried to send: NV3V.

John WB2EKK
pescatore_jt at ncsd.gte.com