U.S. Citizens/callsigns

KU4J at OPUS.UDS.MOT.COM KU4J at OPUS.UDS.MOT.COM
Fri Dec 17 13:50:17 EST 1993

When did the FCC start issuing callsigns to non U.S. citizens? Most
countries nowdays do not issue callsigns to non residence (especially
the Carribbean!) they only issue portable callsigns.  Why is the FCC
allowing this to happen, I thought U.S. Citizenship or permant residency
was a requirement get a U.S. callsign?  I don't want to come off as a
protectionist but it doesn't seem fair that we have to operate /C6...etc
and anyone can give a fake or temporary mailing address and sit down and
take the extra exam and come away with a 2X1 callsign.

tim/ku4j

>From aa2du at attmail.com (J P Kleinhaus )  Fri Dec 17 20:08:27 1993
From: aa2du at attmail.com (J P Kleinhaus ) (J P Kleinhaus )
Date: 17 Dec 93 20:08:27 GMT
Subject: CW Rhythm?

AA5UO wrote: How about AA2UU?"
Being on the sidelines for this one (I don't want anyone to steal my choice
of calls :') but N7TR sounds nice), I couldn't let this one go by.  The
problem with these stupid 2x2 calls is they take to damn long to send when your
trying to tail-end someone and K1AR has already sent hsi call twice before you
finished the first one.  I like the "DU" on CW, but U is a *lousy* letter
on SSB.  However, for anyone looking for extra cash, I would be willing to
pay for the demise of W2DU <g>.
73 to all
AA2DU