Joe Walsh and his CW message

Andrew Sargent N8OFS andrews at telemax.com
Fri Dec 31 10:02:40 EST 1993

> Sender: CQ-Contest-Relay at TGV.COM
> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1993 09:07:16 -0700
> From: "John W. Brosnahan" <broz at csn.org>
> To: cq-contest at tgv.com
> Subject: Joe Walsh and his CW message
>
> BTW Is there a reflector logged onto this reflector.  ie  Why won't the
> messages go away, Trey?  The original authors are probably getting
> embarrassed by the use of bandwidth, or maybe they are still AMers.
>
> 73 John   W0UN

Ummm, exuse me!!!  What's wrong with AM'ers now...  Long live AM as
the only _real_ form of modulation!

--
Mesmerized by a decade of hate,           ! AMATEUR =   N8OFS
Flowers and remorse,                      ! ARMY MARS = AAN5HJT

From: bhorn at netcom.com (Bruce Horn) (Bruce Horn)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1993 09:33:46 -0800
Subject: Single op status

Lousy idea to combine single op and single op assisted.  I've always
turned off the packet computer and VHF transceiver entirely when
operating single op mode. I don't want to compete to those who use
the packet to spot their multipliers. The only time I use assisted
contest modes are those in which I'm not serious (and therefore don't
submit a log).

After the end of the contest, I usually come back up on packet to
exchange scores with other locals and see what spots looked like toward
the end of the contest. If people want to cheat (by using packet spots,
but declaring themselves single op), there many ways to do so -- hardly
limited to using packet.  As always, it's up to the individual.

de Bruce, WA7BNM

P.S. Since I'm just reading my mail from the Christmas holidays, this
may already be a dead discussion issue by now.  If so, my apologies.

From: tree at cmicro.com (Larry Tyree) (Larry Tyree)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 93 10:07:01 PST
Subject: N6TR BBS

The N6TR Logging program now has a BBS.  The phone number is (503) 658-6116.

For more info, contact N6TR.

Tree N6TR
(For more CW on music, check out Klaatu and of course Radio Waves by Roger Waters.4

From: XMSJ29A at prodigy.com (MR JAMES A WHITE) (MR JAMES A WHITE)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1993 16:18:45 EST
Subject: NPRM ETIQUETTE

Wanted-anyone having favorable experience filing comments on FCC
NPRM's...Mark Wilson if you read this, that means-help...and thanks for the
copy of the NPRM via the ARRL HQ Server.

        As someone eager to embrace the opportunity for pick-a-call I am
ready to write a letter of comment regarding FCC 93-545. I would like for
my comments to have maximum favorable impact...and seek suggestions from
others who have had their stuff read by FCC-any good catch phrases or other
things to include in my comment?

        I plan to mention something I saw here on the Reflector...the use
of Internet to disseminate available callsign listings. Perhaps FCC can
make available periodically updated listings of available calls by use of a
server-I do not know how frequently it would be convenient to update the
available calls, but with e-mail's speed using the Internet one could have
a very good chance of checking availability when making up their list
of 10 callsign choices.

        While I, for only selfish reasons, would like the initial batch of
requests honored be from those who have re-districted since their license
was issued-I do not know that it is arguable and a possible request. It
would be responsive to my (and other "/"'s) needs-but should we portable
types in essence get the first pick because we moved? You others QRX ?

        I also favor an initial offering of calls based on one's seniority
in the hobby. Earlier I saw mention the FCC may not be able to offer that
due the spottiness of their own records...as far as tiers of availability:
                how about (?)
                20 years since first licensed: First batch
                15 years since               : Second
                10 years since               : Third
                 5 years since               : Fourth
...once each of these groups have had their chance at picking then it would
be open season to even entry level hams (doesn't fit with the traditions of
the hobby-Old Timers like me with 2-Letter calls...pikers with 2x3's,
etc...but I do not know/and don't know there can be a successful argument
for/   an easily policed way of limiting those newcomers to the hobby who
want an available 1x2...I think that if they wanna buy one they are gonna
be able to.

        I know this is the contest reflector, but contesters profit from
shorter preferred calls more than other hams sheerly due to the fact that
we can sign our call more times in one weekend than most hams may in their
entire ham life...those who have heard ME sign /4 are very few-takes to
darn long!

Happy New Year-GL '94    Jim K1ZX, awaiting my FCC 610-V