Let's ask K1ZZ ! (fwd)

Ronald D. Klein rklein at lobo.rmh.pr1.k12.co.us
Sat Jul 10 08:34:05 EDT 1993

Steve, N2IC/0 makes an extremely valid point relative to the need to enhance
PRB-1. There are an increasing numbers of examples - NQ0I's case being the most
blatant that I am aware of - where the "broken" governmental and judicial
processes have completely disregarded the intent of PRB-1 as written.

The current version of PRB-1 was a real breakthrough. It's usefulness depends
on the zoning authorities and judicial system behaving in a rational and fair
manner. It is obvious to me such a dependency is a problem. I suggest that
those who are concerned about the direction things are headed provide
constructive input to the ARRL to encourage them to make enhancements of PRB-1
a top priority. It appears to me that the modifications MUST include clear
technical criteria for antenna height based upon the operational need of the
amateur. It needs to clearly override what the small-minded, petty, snobbish
(and other less socially acceptable descriptors) neighborhood interests
consider to be "aesthetics".

Yet another local example I am familiar with follows. About 2 years ago, an
amateur in Larimer County, Colorado decided to apply for a permit for 3 towers
up to 70 ft. high on a 2.3 acre parcel in a subdivision. The lot is immediately adjacent to the
adjacent to the sewer plant which serves the subdivision. And, there is only
one home to the east which could possibly have concerns about views of the
Rocky Mountains to the west. There was such an uproar that the ham backed off
and has yet to proceed. The point to be made follows. (by the way, I am not
the ham referred to. I have 1 tower + 2 Hytowers on my lot 1/2 mile away in
the same subdivision.)

Larimer County has wording in it's subdivision regulations which restricts
structures to 40 feet, with wording that specifically excludes antennas. Their
"interpretation" is that this applies only to antennas attached to homes and
not towers. The zoning administrator was claiming to be unaware of PRB-1. He
was provided a copy during this period. Recently, I spoke with a friend of
mine who is on the Board of Adjustment. He had been told by the Zoning
Administrator that the 40 foot limit clearly complies with PRB-1. The claimed
basis is that there are provisions for exceptions to be granted. I certainly
don't see the situation this way and do not believe other rational people
would either.  To me, this is a prime example of a bureaucrat who chooses to
do things his way by twisting the intent of PRB-1 to suit his personal tastes
- after all, he is chosen to know best, independent of the wording of the
regulations, right? HOGWASH!

IT IS TIME TO PUT REAL TEETH INTO PRB-1 and build on the good work done by
those who succeeded at getting the original one through. The system is so
broken that there is no choice but to make it clear and specific so those who
choose to play their silly little bureaucratic and unethical games can be
prevented from doing so! It may also be time for another tea party.  My taxes
certainly aren't being spent in a way that represents my wishes!

:soapbox off.

73, Ron - W0OSK (Berthoud, CO)