CQ PUNT

ames at nebula.decnet.lockheed.com ames at nebula.decnet.lockheed.com
Mon Jun 7 10:53:23 EDT 1993

The basic concept that I was suggesting was to equalize RATES for calling
CQ contest!  I was waiting for these people to move my office and equipment
to another building, so I may not have been entirely focused on my message.

If rates are equalized, by being constrained, then scores can only be
maximized by equipment and ability.  The tightest constraints would be to
start off in the Novice bands.  However, running at 5 wpm would not produce
an significant scores in a single hour - and I am assuming that most of the
people who are regular contesters could bear working at 10 wpm but not 5 wpm.

Changing to different segments of the band will change the nature of the
competition.  If a Novice can work at 13 wpm, or 20 wpm, then he should take
the test and upgarde.  I assume if you want more people to get into contesting,
then the first down is their chance to compete against those who are more
efficient in their operational procedurew and have better stations.  Thus, by
moving to the General segment of the band - every one knows who is being
eliminated an why.  It is not a factor out of control by every individual.

The second down would not place a very great constraint on most contesters,
except for some like myself who still are not that proficient.  The third
down creates a basic problem for those who have developed an over-specialized
contest station, as they are now working away from the normal CW portion of the
band.  CW is legal, based on FCC rules, there and indeed you my often hear some
scattered operation in the Advanced segment.  I assuem there are a number of
regular contesters who can operate at 30 wpm.  Now they would not be constrained
by us slow-pokes.  The suggested hours of operation for this segment would not
cause a great deal of disruption to regular phone operators not in the contest.
But we know that others would be greatly offended no matter what, and would
cause intentional QRM and start tuning up with 1kw.  This adds to the challenge
and would help to determine, really who is the best?

the last down at 40 wpm is intended to square off the best, since we all seem to
know that winning has a lot to do with rates.  The best against the best, and we
can all see what happens.

and finally there is the problem of propagation, which the basis of the hours I
had suggested.  By allowing commercial SW stations to compete in the multi-op
class, then we can be sure that no matter how terrible the propagation gets that
someone has the power and gain needed to keep things going.  It is my impression
that many broadcast engineers have Extra Class licences, and would be able to
keep things going no matter how bad propagation got.  This would be a commercial
version of Armed Forces day special events who work on a shared band (40 meters),
and thus would be easier to sell to the SW station owners and ITU.

I am not present this idea of CQ PUNT as an ultimate contest, but merely as
a different kind of progressive sprint that would allow every one to compete
at various fixed rates.  That was the basic concept, they may be better ways
to achieve this intent but this is what I though of at the time.  It would not
but much fun if dragged out for 24, 30, or 48 hours.

73, alan N2ALE/6