More FT-990 Comments

NB7241000-LondonSMDR230524 n2ic at bighorn.dr.att.com
Wed Mar 3 13:36:12 EST 1993

K0KR reminded me of a few more 990 attributes:

- He says that the transmit audio sounds quite good (for contest use) when
  the processor is properly adjusted.

- When used with my Alpha 76PA and VOX keying, the 990 initially transmits
  at about 50% of full power.  Over a second or two, the power rises to
  full power.  It seems that the relay(s) in the Alpha are slow to key, the
  990 detects a high SWR, and shuts down, taking several seconds to recover.
  This happens on both phone and CW when using VOX (but not PTT).  K0KR's
  Drake L4-B linear doesn't have this problem with the 990 (a faster acting
  relay, no doubt).  Also, my TS-940S doesn't have this shutdown problem with
  my Alpha.

- I really like the SCAF filtering on the receiver audio.  It's more
  effective than I expected.

Steve, N2IC/0