Propagation from Zero Land - CQWW vs. ARRL

NB7241000-LondonSMDR230524 n2ic at bighorn.dr.att.com
Thu Mar 18 07:50:10 EST 1993

John, W0UN, makes some interesting observations about the lack of top-10 finishes
in CQWW from W0.

I think that we are extremely handicapped in CQWW CW by the nearness to the
winter solstice, and the resultant lack and duration of high band openings.
For example, in late Novemeber, at the sunspot peak, working a UA3 on 10 meters is a hit-or-miss proposition.

CQWW Phone has about the same relationship to the equinox as ARRL CW.  I believe
the increased level of competition in CQWW Phone is the reason for the lack of
W0 top-10 finishes in CQWW Phone, compared to ARRL CW.  The 1988 and 1990
CQWW Phone contests were blessed with outstanding propagation, even from
out here, yet W0's were bumped out of the top 10 by east coast competition.
The 1989 and 1991 ARRL CW contests were similarly blessed by the sunspot gods,
and a few W0 participants did make the top 10.

In my 12 years experience from Colorado, I have found 2 propagation
opportunities which allow us to make the top 10:

1)  Top of sunspot cycle, with an outstanding EU sunrise opening on 20 meters.
We do not get the EU sunrise opening with a solar flux less than about 180.
(Example: in the 1993 ARRL CW and Phone weekends, we had virtually no EU
sunrise opening, while the east coast had excellent openings).

2)  Bottom of sunspot cycle, where the east coast does not get an EU opening
on 15 meters, but we do get a JA opening on 15 meters.  This happened only
once during the mid-80's.  A more common occurrence is for the east
coast to get an EU opening on 15, and we do not get EU or JA on 15 !

A few observations.

Steve, N2IC/0