Questions about Yaesu CAT interface with CT

zf8bs at twg.com zf8bs at twg.com
Sun Apr 10 19:16:50 EDT 1994

Peter,
  I tried the resistor and it made absolutely no difference.  The hardware/
software system behaves exactly like it did before.  I'm becoming convinced
it's a generic problem with the rig.  N6TR told me he spent quite a bit of
time trying to get the FT990 to work with his logging program and never
could.  At least a dozen people sent me email and said they tried the Yaesu
interface, had the same problems I did, then gave up.  Unreal!  The only ray
of hope I've received so far is from N0AX, who says Yaesu has a special
version of the ROM software that Yaesu can mount on the CPU control board--
at the factory, naturally--which avoids returning the whole 1492 bytes of
info in response to each status query.  (The way I read the manual, a simple
status query gets back the mode, frequency, RIT/XIT offsets, filter selections,
etc. for each of the 90 memory slots.  No wonder the logging software times
out!)  I guess my next step is to call Yaesu support.  If that doesn't work,
maybe I should take my laptop and demo the whole thing at Visalia next week :-)
                                                  Bruce/AA6KX

>From Peter G. Smith" <n4zr at netcom.com  Mon Apr 11 02:48:56 1994
For what it's worth, that's exactly the problem that they had with the
FT-1000, and it was fixed with a new ROM that they inswtalled free opf
charge.  so don't give upo -- call Chip Margelli!

73, Pete
n4zr at netcom.com
NOTE: New Address