No subject

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Sat Apr 16 17:40:44 EDT 1994

Msg #657  From: NT2X  Date: 16-Apr 1158Z  Subj: RUSSIAN CONTEST DATES

The fact that the Russian DX Contest coincides with the ARRL Field Day

competition was brought to my attention! This was immediately relayed

to the organizers of the Russian Contest and I can virtually guarantee

a change of date for this one. The 'date' mishap is unfortunate, but

correctable. Stand by for more details ...

>From jzap at MasPar.COM (John Zapisek)  Sat Apr 16 23:25:57 1994
From: jzap at MasPar.COM (John Zapisek) (John Zapisek)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 94 15:25:57 PDT
Subject: Internet SprINT Results

The fourth Internet SprINT contest was held on 2 April 1994 and was
another success for this young contest (unless you were in the
northeast).  Gene Walsh, N2AA (you remember him, Joe's father), kept
working at it and finished with the top northeast score.  Dave, K8JLF, had
a great score finishing with 55 QSOs without moving a single S-meter, and
Ed, WA2SRQ, went on a DX-pedition to Greenland and finished with 39 QSOs.

The biggest activity center was California.  The stations who had good
propagation into California at the start were eating them up like
sharks in goldfish tank.  This put K9ZO and K4PQL ahead after one lap.
However, as 40 meters started receiving attention, the school of sixes
was now visible to more sharks and the big sharks on the west coast
got their chance.  In the end, Ralph and Al finished third and fourth
and west coast sprint veterans N6TR (hi mom) and K6LL finished in the
top two spots.

The highest accuracy percentage was recorded by David Hodge, XE1/AA6RX.
Dave combined his early training on CW traffic nets with his discerning
ear for musical notes to turn in an entry with NO receiving errors and
only one QSO busted due to a receiving error on the other end.
Congratulations David!!

I had the honor to finally meet John, K2MM, who generates all of the
data you are about to enjoy reading.  After seeing how difficult it
is, I am sure glad I was lazy and didn't take it on myself.  We all
owe John a big THANK YOU for his hard work and for making the hottest
new contest of the 90's.  John finished the report around 5 AM on
April 15th so that the results would be available at Visalia.  He
still has all day now to do his taxes!  You can contact John at
k2mm at maspar.com.

Dave, K5GN, was disappointed that this contest was held on Easter.
We almost gave him a 1000 point penalty for misreading the rules, but
thought better of it.  At any rate, the responsibility for selecting
the next SprINT date now rests with him.  I would expect it to occur
sometime in the summer, probably a month or two before the September
NCJ sprint.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at tgv.com

And now for the report generated by the K2MM log checking animal:
(as AD1C says: "cut here")

		      FOURTH INTERNET SPRINT RESULTS

Date                    9404    9401    9310    9305
Logs Submitted            29      30      26      29
Calls Worked              54      55      47      74
Reported 20m QSOs       1457    2170    1552    2471
Reported 40m QSOs       1081     758     574       2
Reported Total QSOs     2538    2928    2126    2473
Reported Matched QSOs   2394    2772    1912    2082
Total QSOs              1341    1542    1170    1432
Percent Matched         89.3    89.9    81.7    72.7

"Total QSOs" = "Reported Total QSOs" - 1/2 * "Reported Matched QSOs".
This is because each *pair* of "Reported Matched QSOs" represents one
QSO reported from both ends.

#OK  = your score
#NG  = contacts not credited
RXNG = you busted the call/number/name/qth of the station you worked
TXNG = the station you worked busted your call/number/name/qth
DUPE = you worked the same station within 3 previous non-dupes

#OK + #NG is the raw claimed score.  #NG is the number of busted contacts.
Some contacts may be busted for more than one reason, so RXNG + TXNG + DUPE
may be greater than #NG.  Stations making more than 10 QSOs that did not
submit a log were penalized one point per unreported QSO!  YOUR ANNOTATED
LOG IS AVAILABLE VIA E-MAIL.  SEND YOUR REQUEST TO "k2mm at maspar.com".

CALL        #OK  #NG RXNG TXNG DUPE ACCURACY (each * is 2% above 50%)
n6tr        146   11    2    8    1  93.0 *********************
k6ll        141    5    2    2    1  96.6 ***********************
k4pql       139    6    2    1    0  95.9 **********************
k9zo        134    9    4    5    0  93.7 *********************
n4ogw       118    6    4    2    0  95.2 **********************
aa5bt       112    5    3    2    0  95.7 **********************
ve4vv       107    6    1    5    0  94.7 **********************
ka9fox      101    7    4    2    1  93.5 *********************
n4tqo       101   10    6    4    0  91.0 ********************
ab6fo       100   12    8    4    0  89.3 *******************
ke9i        100   15    9    5    1  87.0 ******************
nv6o         99    6    3    3    0  94.3 **********************
n0ax         92    5    3    2    0  94.8 **********************
nf6h         92    7    2    2    3  92.9 *********************
n7lox        91    2    1    2    0  97.8 ***********************
n6ip         86   11    3    7    1  88.7 *******************
k2mm         83    2    1    1    0  97.6 ***********************
n2aa         69    2    0    2    0  97.2 ***********************
xe1/aa6rx    56    1    0    1    0  98.2 ************************
k8jlf        55    6    1    3    2  90.2 ********************
wq5l         49    2    1    1    0  96.1 ***********************
w5asp        47   19   11    5    2  71.2 **********
wa2srq       39    6    2    3    1  86.7 ******************
k7lr         26    3    0    3    0  89.7 *******************
ve5va        22    2    0    2    0  91.7 ********************
ae0m         18   13    8    1    4  58.1 ****
w1yu         16    1    1    0    0  94.1 **********************
wn3k          4    2    0    2    0  66.7 ********
wa8zdt      -11   11    0   11    0   0.0 No log
n8ea        -25   25    0   25    0   0.0 No log
k7gm        -35   35    0   35    0   0.0 No log
kb8n      -1007 1007    0 1007    0   0.0 No log, rules-violation penalty
km0l      -1011 1011    0 1011    0   0.0 No log, rules-violation penalty
aa7nx     -2908 3021    3 3004   11  81.4 *************** Three BUTTHEADs!

Thanks to Trey/WN4KKN and Tree/N6TR for a good idea they use checking
NA Sprint logs -- amnesty for QSO# errors within +/- 1.  This occurred
in about a half-dozen QSOs.  The theory is that the sender's log may often
show his TX# off by 1, even with computer logging!

Remember, busted Qs are removed from both the sender's and receiver's logs,
and ACCURACY reflects both sending and receiving errors and dupes.  Look for
ERROR ANALYSIS breakdows at the end of this posting.

SOAPBOX

> [Ed/WA2SRQ]  Terrible conditions on 20m.  I qrt after the first hour to
> watch Duke/Florida game so didn't make it to 40m. . . .  Anyone else
> notice that the stations with the highest numbers were the ones heard the
> least often?

> [Ken/AB6FO]  I agree conditions were terrible on 20. Not so great the
> first 15 minutes on 40 either.  About 0120 things got better and I had a
> decent second hour.

> [Gene/N2AA]  CDX were SUCKOLA!  Great practice at calling people who
> answered someone else (50%).

> [Steve/N4TQO]  Much more fun doing this from a station with lots of
> antennas [AG6D] -- I had six to choose from for 20 and 40.  20 was funny
> -- kept working small group of guys, lucky we have the +3 no dupe rule.
> 40 was hot.

> [Doug/NF6H]  This is the first Internet sprint I've played in, and it was
> a lot of fun.  It's amazing how dead the bands were when 0200 came around!

> [Tor/N4OGW]  I thought 20m condx were pretty good in IL.

> [Eric/NV6O]  Yes, the bands were bad at the start, but not bad enough to
> prevent me from copying NINZER from N2AA and sending him . . . N4BO!

> [John/K2MM]  Activity seemed a bit thin.  Conditions were poor, though,
> so maybe activity only *seemed* thin.

> [Tree/N6TR]  Was a slow start on 20 meters.  North east signals were
> really weak the whole time on 20.  Things really picked up when 40 meters
> started getting activity.

The number of 40m QSOs jumped to 1081 from last time's high of 758, even
though total Qs were down a little.  Bad 20m condx made it seem a lot worse.

> [Howie/K4PQL]  Conditions seemed to favor the east coast on 20 (more W6s),
> but I think it flipped on 40.  The QRN was high here and not much one-hop
> activity heard.

> [Kevin/WA8ZDT]  CONDX here rather poor.  Very little 20M.  40M a little
> better, but never heard a single W1, W2, or W3.

> [Mike/AA7NX]  Some pretty awful conditions . . .

> [Chip/K7LR]  This time conditions overtook wrestling with LOG as the
> limiting factor; went downstairs for a beer at 0052, worked 2 more in the
> next 11 minutes, and decided the beer was a better idea.  Only 3 guys ever
> called _me_.

> [Dave/K8JLF]  Here in New England, conditions were atrocious!  Much of the
> time on 20 I could hardly hear anyone.  Things picked up after 0100Z, when
> the action began to move to 40, but it soon became clear that conditions
> there were not a lot better.

> [Ralph/K9ZO]  Things went well on 20.  There were enough stations to keep
> things going, but most of the qsos were in California.  I did not need to
> have a bidirectional signal -- nothing out east. . . .  Immediately upon
> the band change to 40 at 0118Z I could sense that something was wrong.
> There were very few signals over S9 and it was raining.  The S meter
> stayed at 9 with static crashes taking out part of the exchanges.  Most of
> the west coast was in the noise.  I could hear them working each other.
> There were no midwest to be heard. . . .  Frequently I got beat out, had
> to repeat exchanges, or ask for fills.  Nothing clicked well for the last
> half hour.  So close, yet so far.

Here on the Left Coast, switching to 40m was great.  Seems that wasn't the
case everywhere.  With different condx, Ralph, you might have had a shot at
beating out Tree for #1.  You were 10 Qs ahead of him at 0100Z.  Maybe we
can avoid having to coin a new "QTW?" Q-signal ;-)

> [Ward/N0AX]  Conditions?  P.U.!  WA2SRQ sounded like he was in Greenland!

> [Bob/N6IP]  20m was death for me, a westward facing cliff dweller.
> Usually do OK in SprINT because so much activity is west coast (N-S).
> This time, only W8, W9, and a few weak W5s were obvious on 20m.  Usually
> never heard my "honorable competition" that beat me to 75% of the W8/W9/W5
> CQs.  Six times I abandoned my CQing after 10+ calls.  Frustrating!

> [Ray/WQ5L]  Thanks SO much (NOT!) to the local electricity substation for
> breaking down at 2315!  Argh!!!  It came back on at 0055, so I was able to
> get on for the second hour, but hardly warmed up and ready.

Seems local condx were A LOT worse in some places than others!

> [Jerry/KE9I]  20m started out very good, then kaboom, no signals!
> 40m noise, noise, noise!

WHAT'S IN A LOG?

> [Joe/W5ASP]  Please don't giggle.  This is a "check log" ONLY!  Several of
> the exchanges I lost completely while fussing with the program.  DO NOT
> penalize anyone for my confusion.  I really struggled trying to get Tree's
> software to run and made a lot of errors that I couldn't correct "on the
> fly". . . .  I could have done it all by hand and had a much "cleaner" log
> but the challenge was to use the N6TR software AND work the contest.

OK, Joe.  Your log was not included for QSO checking, only for QSO stats and
name traces.  Guess that makes it a "no-check log".  Also, you have a line
score in the standings.  Thanks for risking the embarrassment of sending in a
log you'd rather not have anyone else see!  It really does help.

> [Derek/AA5BT]  One man, one radio and four pencils.  Color me old-
> fashioned, but this is surely one of the contests where paper and pencil
> work just fine.  Spotting dupes is trivial, and I write as fast as I can
> type, and correct mistakes more easily. . . .  I'm not sure what a logging
> program buys you.   Well, OK, I have to type all the stuff in later. . . .

Say what, Derek?

> [Derek/AA5BT]  Sorry, Tree -- please use this log and swallow the others!
> I can see the advantage of a logging program now, I make too many mistakes
> when I transcribe my handwriting to the computer.  I promise this [third
> version] is the last version!

> [Bob/WN3K]  Well, I got up the nerve to use TR LOG the first time instead
> of NA and it made me rather crazy. The first time I had a dupe it threw it
> out and I couldn't find a way to disable whatever did it. So... 6 Qs.
> Will work with this program before next one.  Sorry to drop out.

Bob now has some new LOGCFG.DAT files to look at, and plenty of time to get
ready for next time!

> [Doug/NF6H]  Started tinkering with LOG 4.05 before the contest trying to
> set it up for the sprint.  Thirty minutes wasn't long enough to figure
> everything out, but it worked well enough.

Getting up to reasonable speed with LOG in only 30 minutes is a remarkable
achievement!

> [Tor/N4OGW]  I tried using LOG for the first time.  About the middle of
> the contest I somehow managed to dump the log/dupesheet to disk.  Not
> knowing how to get it back, I restarted the program, just as N6TR calls
> me.  Of course now the program has lost the last name it got.  Not knowing
> how to reload the last name, I exited and used a text editor to look at
> the log.  I'm glad you don't use a binary file format!  Thanks for
> waiting, Tree!

> [Dave/K8JLF]  At least it gave me an opportunity to practice using LOG in
> real time.

> [Howie/K4PQL]  LOG dropped mex (mx) from xe1/aa6rx.  (Right, blame it on
> N6TR LOG!)  P.S. -- confused.  Stopped contest because computer clock said
> 0200.  LOG sez 0157 (sigh).

Bummer :-(  There were several Qs missing from the end of your log.  They
probably are the five "editable" Qs held in LOG.TMP.  It's easy to forget
to flush LOG.TMP to LOG.DAT at the end of a contest.  Those five Qs would
have jumped you into 2nd place ahead of Dave/K6LL and hot on Tree's heels!

> [Ken/AB6FO]  I like the name rule, as I get practice with the keyer and
> not only the keyboard.  I use NA with some customized keyboard macros
> (rather I'm planning on trying to do that) to get the exchange sent from
> the keyboard.

There were a few Qs missing from the middle and end of Ken's log, too.
(Hope it's not contagious!)  But Ken was able to provide fills just in the
nick of time.  Thanks, Ken.

> [Pete/VE5VA]  I blew it this time.  Sent two QSOs with #4 and some other
> errors.  I shudder to think how many QSOs I'll lose!  I must write a
> program to handle this for me.

Or buy one!

> [Ralph/K9ZO]  Notice that qso nr 4 serial number was repeated.

What is it with QSO #4???  Maybe contagion is not too far-fetched a worry!

> [David/XE1/AA6RX]  The software worked fine, ver 4.02, except for the name
> of a repeat contact popping up.  I already disabled NAME by changing its
> filename.  It is simply a darn good program!

STEVE AND PAUL -- CLUELESS TECHS?

> [Joe/W5ASP]  Near the end it seemed that every exchange was "Steve".

> [Eric/NV6O]  Where did all the Steves and Pauls come from?

> [Derek/AA5BT]  The multiple Steves are probably caused by someone who
> hasn't read the rules, and thinks it is like a normal Sprint, where you
> send your own name for each QSO.  So if the person does this 6 times
> before realizing the error, there are now 6 Steves out there being passed
> around (and 6 names that are never heard of again).

STEVE was the most popular name given for QSO #1 -- by N4TQO, KD1JZ, WB9TOW,
and KM0L.  A few more were generated by "logging accidents".  But 10 extra
STEVEs came from KM0L and at least 7 PAULs came from KB8N.  Note that both
stations quit right after working their first dupe.  Maybe getting two
different names from the same station is what clued them in!

Also, Fred/VE5GD and Ron/KE5IR managed to get in a bit of name subversion.

 20 0021 k2mm       13 pete     ca km0l        1 steve    mo
 20 0025 w1yu       12 tor      ct km0l        2 steve    mo
 20 0027 n6tr       30 rich     or km0l        3 steve    mo
 20 0028 nv6o       21 tony     ca km0l        4 steve    mo
 20 0028 n0ax       26 fox      wa km0l        5 steve    mo
 20 0030 k6ll       35 ralph    az km0l        6 steve    mo
 20 0032 k7lr       20 joe      wa km0l        7 steve    mo
 20 0033 ab6fo      25 joe      ca km0l        8 steve    mo
 20 0036 aa7nx      28 tony     or km0l        9 steve    mo
 20 0034 n7lox      32 fox      wa km0l       10 steve    mo
 20 0040 n0ax       39 joe      wa km0l       11 steve    mo

 20 0059 n2aa       45 ninger   nj kb8n        1 paul     tx
 20 0100 aa7nx      50 ken      or kb8n        2 paul     tx
 20 0101 n4ogw      66 steve    il kb8n        3 paul     tx
 20 0104 k9zo       83 steve    il kb8n        4 paul     tx
 20 0104 ve4vv      67 bevis    mb kb8n        5 paul     tx
 20 0106 nv6o       54 steve    ca kb8n        8 paul     tx
 20 0109 k9zo       88 gomez    il kb8n        9 paul     tx

 20 0108 ve4vv      72 steve    mb ve5gd       1 fred     sk
 20 0111 nf6h       51 pavl     ca ve5gd       2 fred     sk
 40 0142 ve4vv     103 joe      mb ve5gd       3 fred     sk
 40 0149 ve5va      21 steve    sk ve5gd       4 fred     sk

 40 0152 ke9i      108 joe      in ke5ir       1 ron      tx
 40 0153 wq5l       46 corlo    al ke5ir       2 ron      tx

Seriously, sincere thanks to these guys for getting on despite the confusion
and the giggles.  Hope they're not too embarrassed to get on next time!  And
extra thanks to everyone who sent in a log.  It's amazing how completely
KM0L's log could be reconstructed!

Here are the related name-trace fragments that didn't get connected to the
main body of starting names (below).  For an explanation of the symbols, see
Reader's Guide To SprINT Name Traces at the end of the traces.

 nv6o       14 fox      ==========================n7lox-km0l= (KM0L#11)
 n0ax       40 steve    ==-=======w5asp=ka9fox?

 wa8zdt     11 joe      =====ke9i-ke5ir= (KE5IR#2)
 wq5l       47 ron      ===-===ke9i.

 k6ll       76 steve    ==ve4vv-ve5gd= (VE5GD#2)
 nf6h       52 fred     ===-==============================-=====aa5bt.

 n7gm       16 paul     ===ve5va=
 nf6h       51 pavl     -ve5gd= (VE5GD#3)
 ve4vv     104 fred     =================ab6fo.

 k7gm       18 joe      ==========-==-====ve4vv-ve5gd= (VE5GD#4)
 ve5va      22 fred     =
 ab6fo     108 ed       -wb9tow?

HEY STEVE, I WANT MY MTV!

Mike/AA7NX was so agitated by getting five STEVEs in a row, he responded in
the only way he could -- with BUTTHEAD!  Musta felt good!  Maybe this helps
explain his mind-boggling total of 11 dupes -- an all-time SprINT record!

 20 0041 aa7nx      32 hro      or n4ogw      45 steve    il
 20 0042 aa7nx      33 steve    or ka9fox     42 steve    wi
 20 0043 aa7nx      34 steve    or aa5bt      40 steve    tx
 20 0045 aa7nx      35 steve    or k9zo       56 steve    il
 20 0046 aa7nx      36 steve    or ka9fox     47 steve    wi
 20 0047 aa7nx      37 butthead or ke9i       53 hro      in

Mike injected two BUTTHEADs and one BEVIS, selflessly accepting 3000 points
in penalties in an attempt to save the contest from STEVE-lock.  Poetic
justice was seen again, though, as Mike's second BUTTHEAD clobbered his own
starting name!  Derek/AA5BT came through and cleaned up Mike's mess by
changing both BUTTHEADs to ED.

 aa5bt      22 tony     ==nv6o-km0l= (KM0L#5)
 n0ax       27 steve    ================
 aa7nx      37 butthead ==-============
 aa5bt      64 ed       ==-=-=================aa5bt-n8ea=
 ab6fo      82 derk     ==============xe1/aa6rx.

 aa7nx       1 mike     ==========================-================
 aa7nx      40 butthead =========
 aa5bt      61 ed       -======nv6o-kd1jz?

See Gene/N2AA's second trace (below) for BEVIS.  And Mike, learn how to
spell BEAVIS, will ya ;-)

TRACES FOR STARTING NAMES

Here are traces for the remaining starting names.  They are listed
alphabetically by name.

 wb4rmj      1 bill     =-kl7ra?

 ke9i        1 bingo    ========n0ax=nv6o?

 k7lr        1 chip     =
 k4pql       2 skip     ===========-====ka9fox-k6aw?

> [David/XE1/AA6RX]  NAME = CORNO (Horn in Spanish)

 xe1/aa6rx   1 corno    ==-=========-====n2aa=
 ke9i       71 corro    ========n7lox=
 n4ogw      93 corno    ====ke9i=
 w5asp      50 corro    ==ve4vv=
 n0ax       80 corlo    ==============wq5l-ke5ir?

 k6ll        1 dave     =======ve4vv-k4twj?

 k8jlf       1 dave     ====================w5asp=
 ab6fo      16 larry    =========================-==k8jlf-k0fx?

 k4twj       1 dave     =========ve4vv=
 ab6fo      11 steve    ==============================ab6fo=
 ve4vv      46 hteve    =n4tqo=
 n4ogw      51 steve    ======-====-==================-=================
 . . .         steve    -======n6tr.

 aa5bt       1 derek    ==n6tr=
 w5asp       4 derk     ==================k9zo=
 n6tr       35 terk     ====ab6fo=
 w5asp      19 derk     =
 n6tr       44 terk     ==n4tqo=
 k9zo       51 derk     ===n4ogw=
 ae0m       14 dick     ===============n4tqo-n7gm?

 ve4vv       1 derrick  ================nv6o=
 ke9i       25 derick   =
 ab6fo      17 derk     ===============================ab6fo=
 wq5l        4 dirk     ===-=====n6ip=
 ka9fox     70 derk     ==k6ll-k7gm?

 k0fx        1 don      ==-=====-====n6tr=
 n4tqo      65 joe      =====================k6ll-n8ea?

 nf6h        1 doug     ==========wn3k.

 nm5m        1 eric     ==n0ax?

 wa2srq      1 ed       ============================-==w5asp=
 n7lox      41 steve    =======-=========wq5l-wa8zdt?

 n0ax        1 fester   =================wa2srq.

 ka9fox      1 fox      =============-=====n0ax-km0l= (KM0L#6)
 k6ll       36 steve    =====-======ke9i=
 n4tqo      39 mike     ====================-==ab6fo-k7gm?

 ve5gd       1 fred     ============n4tqo-n8ea=
 nv6o       91 steve    ==nf6h=n4ogw?

W1YU couldn't copy the name N4BO he was sent in QSO #13, so he re-sent in
QSO #14 the name STEVE he got in QSO #12.

 n2aa        1 gene     =wa2srq=
 n6ip        3 peter    =========n6tr=
 aa5bt      12 pete     ====k2mm-km0l= (KM0L#2)
 w1yu   ->  13 steve    ========================k9zo-kb8n= (KB8N#5)
 ve4vv      68 paul     ===xe1/aa6rx-n8ea=
 nv6o       63 derk     =-==-=====n6tr=
 aa7nx      76 derek    =
 n6ip       64 derk     ===ab6fo=
 aa7nx      85 derek    ==========k8jlf=
 k2mm       75 derk     =n6ip=
 ke9i      105 derek    =
 ab6fo     103 derk     ==========ve4vv.

 n2aa        1 gene     =wa2srq=
 n6ip        3 peter    =========n6tr=
 aa5bt      12 pete     ====k2mm-km0l= (KM0L#2)
 w1yu   ->  14 steve    ==========k9zo=
 nf6h       36 ralph    ==-=========
 aa7nx      49 bevis    ===ve4vv-kb8n?

 n7lox       1 gomez    ==-===============-======-===============-==
 . . .         gomez    =k9zo-kb8n.

 k4pql       1 howie    ======k9zo=
 nv6o        3 5owie    =wn3k=
 k6ll       11 howie    =ke9i=
 w5asp       6 howe     ==n0ax=
 ke9i       19 howie    ====k6ll=
 wa2srq     22 fox      ===============-=-===================aa5bt-k7gm?

 wn3k        1 hro      ======================================w1yu.

 n8ea        1 joe      =========n0ax-km0l?

 w1yu        1 joe      ===============================ab6fo-km0l= (KM0L#9)
 aa7nx      29 steve    ====================-=======ab6fo-n8ea?

WA2SRQ couldn't copy the name FESTER he was sent in QSO #20, so he re-sent
in QSO #21 the name JOE he got in QSO #19.

 w5asp       1 joe      ===============
 wa2srq ->  20 joe      =================-===============ae0m-k7go?

 w5asp       1 joe      ===============
 wa2srq ->  21 joe      ========k7lr-km0l= (KM0L#8)
 ab6fo      26 steve    ================-===========nv6o-kb8n= (KB8N#9)
 k9zo       89 paul     ===============-==============================-=
 . . .         paul     =n6tr-w5xd?

 ab6fo       1 ken      ================================-===============
 . . .         ken      ==aa7nx-kb8n= (KB8N#3)
 n4ogw      67 paul     ==aa5bt-n8ea?

 wa8zdt      1 kevin    =============aa5bt=
 aa7nx      71 steve    ==============================n7lox.

> [Eric/NV6O]  I thought I would give everyone a chance to send N4BO without
> penalty (smirk).

Right on!  I thought about starting with N4BO, too!  After all, if "oo7" is
legitimate, why not?  Sure glad you're the one to do it, though!

 nv6o        1 n4bo     ======================w1yu.

> [Steve/N4TQO]  Worst moment:  trying to persuade W1YU that N4BO was a name
> -- that cost me three minutes!

Looks like those three minutes were wasted, Steve.  Here's the relevant
entry from Joe/WI2E/W1YU's log:

> BAND   TIME   CALL    #Sent  #Rcvd  NAME   QTH    POINTS  NOTES
> 20     0027   N4TQO   13     25                   0       Busted exchange

 k7gm        1 ncaa     =============n2aa=w5asp?

 n6tr        1 ninzer   ================-====-============-==========aa5bt=
 ab6fo      47 ninger   =n2aa-kb8n= (KB8N#2)
 aa7nx      51 paul     =========================================-======
 . . .         paul     ==================n0ax.

 kb8n        1 paul     =-==================-==wq5l-k7gm?

 ve5va       1 pete     ==================-============-==w5asp=
 aa5bt      79 paul     =======-=======n6tr=
 ke9i       91 steve    =============-=======n6ip.

> [Dave/K8JLF]  I'd like to know who introduced PHAEDRUS!

> [Ward/N0AX]  Phaedrus, eh?  Must be related to Zaphod...

Related to Phineas, too.  Gee, Ward, how'd you know?

 k2mm        1 phaedrus ===================================-====w5asp=
 wa2srq     43 bill     =-====-=========-======================nv6o-n8ea=
 k4pql     103 fox      ==========================k4pql-n8ea=
 ab6fo     105 bill     ========xe1/aa6rx-wa8zdt?

 k9zo        1 ralph    ================================k6ll-km0l= (KM0L#7)
 k7lr       21 steve    ============-=========wa2srq.

 kl7ra       1 rich     ======n6tr-km0l= (KM0L#4)
 nv6o       22 steve    =======-=====================-==n4ogw-kb8n= (KB8N#4)
 k9zo       84 paul     =-========================================k4pql.

 wq5l        1 rock     ===-=ab6fo=k6ll?

 ke5ir       1 ron      ====nv6o=
 n4tqo     111 fred     ====n4ogw.

 w6jxh       1 ron      =========-=======================================
 . . .         ron      ==wq5l.

 n4tqo       1 steve    =============w1yu-w6jxh?

 kd1jz       1 steve    =================k7lr.

 wb9tow      1 steve    =========n2aa.

 km0l        1 steve    ================================================
 . . .         steve    ======n6ip=
 ae0m          bill     .

 ae0m        1 tony     =====-==============-===aa7nx-km0l= (KM0L#10)
 n7lox      33 steve    ====================================-===-====-==
 . . .         steve    ============-===ve5va-ve5gd.

 n4ogw       1 tor      ==================w1yu-km0l= (KM0L#3)
 n6tr       31 steve    ===================-====-====-===========-======
 . . .         steve    ===================nv6o-n8ea?

 w5xd        1 wayne    ==================ve5va.

> [Bob/N6IP]  Starting Name = "XX" (double cross?)  Never heard it again.

 n6ip        1 xx       =============k7lr=aa5bt?

READER'S GUIDE TO SprINT NAME TRACES

The columns show the station's call, QSO NR, and the name sent with that NR,
followed by the trace.  A new trace is started every time the name changes.

The trace symbols and their meanings:

    =   Name was sent to a station who DID submit a log.
    -   Name was sent to a station who DID NOT submit a log.
    ?   Trace was lost.  In mid-trace, denotes manual suturing.
    .   Name was retired, usually by ending the contest, but sometimes by
	an operator deliberately changing the name.

 k2tw     1 tom      =====-======================-=====ve4gv-aa5nn=
 n0ax    81 linda    =======================-==================ve5va.

K2TW's TOM survived 34 hops and was successfully received by VE4GV, who DID
submit a log.  VE4GV then passed something to AA5NN, who DID NOT submit a
log, and AA5NN passed something to N0AX, who recorded LINDA in his log.  The
error may have occurred anywhere between VE4GV's TX and N0AX's RX.  LINDA
was finally received by VE5VA on his last QSO.

When a name changes while going "underground" (through a non-submitter), the
three calls involved are shown because it's impossible to definitely pin the
bust on one exchange or the other.  Continuation of the trace is possible
because, in this case, VE4GV's log shows he got #3 from AA5NN and N0AX's log
shows #4 from AA5NN.

ERROR ANALYSIS

#define eRXCALL         0x0 /* mis-copied rx'd call  */
#define eRXNR           0x1 /* mis-copied rx'd number */
#define eRXNAME         0x2 /* mis-copied rx'd name */
#define eRXQTH          0x3 /* mis-copied rx'd qth */
#define eTXCALL         0x4 /* tx'd call mis-copied  */
#define eTXNR           0x5 /* tx'd number mis-copied */
#define eTXNAME         0x6 /* tx'd name mis-copied */
#define eTXQTH          0x7 /* tx'd qth mis-copied */
#define eTXNIL          0x8 /* tx'd qso not in other stn's log */
#define eDUPE           0x9 /* stn wkd in prev 3 non-dupe qsos */
#define eCHGNAME        0xA /* tx'd name other than prev rx */
#define eBADNR          0xB /* tx'd nr dupe or backward */
#define eNUQNR          0xC /* tx'd nr not unique, only 1st qso ok */
#define eNOLOG          0xD /* stn wkd did not submit log */
#define eUNIQUE         0xE /* stn wkd is unique */
#define eDCLBUST        0xF /* log declares qso busted */

	   0x0 0x1 0x2 0x3 0x4 0x5 0x6 0x7 0x8 0x9 0xA 0xB 0xC 0xD 0xE 0xF
n6tr         0   1   1   0   0   3   5   2   0   1   0   0   0  13   0   0
k6ll         0   0   2   0   0   0   2   0   0   1   1   0   0  11   0   0
k4pql        0   0   2   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0  10   0   3
k9zo         0   1   2   2   0   1   4   0   0   0   0   1   2   2   0   0
n4ogw        1   1   3   0   0   0   1   1   0   0   0   0   0   5   0   1
aa5bt        1   1   1   0   0   0   2   0   0   0   2   0   0   9   0   1
ve4vv        0   0   1   0   0   2   2   0   1   0   0   0   0   9   1   0
ka9fox       0   2   2   0   0   0   1   1   0   1   0   0   0   3   1   0
n4tqo        1   1   3   1   1   0   3   1   0   0   0   0   0   6   0   1
ab6fo        1   1   5   1   0   0   3   0   1   0   0   0   0  15   0   0
ke9i         1   3   6   1   0   0   3   1   1   1   0   0   0   8   1   1
nv6o         0   0   1   2   1   0   3   0   0   0   0   0   0  12   0   0
n0ax         0   0   1   2   0   0   1   0   1   0   0   0   0   5   0   0
nf6h         0   0   2   0   0   0   1   1   1   3   0   0   0  12   0   0
aa7nx        0   0   3   0   0   2   1   0   1  11   3   0   0   5   0   3
n7lox        0   0   0   1   0   0   1   0   1   0   0   0   0   7   0   0
n6ip         0   0   3   0   0   4   4   0   0   1   0   0   0   4   0   0
k2mm         0   0   1   0   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   6   0   0
n2aa         0   0   0   0   0   0   1   1   0   0   0   0   0   8   0   0
xe1/aa6rx    0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   9   0   0
k8jlf        0   1   0   0   0   2   1   0   0   2   0   0   0   7   1   0
wq5l         0   0   1   0   0   0   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   8   0   0
wa2srq       0   0   2   1   1   1   1   0   0   1   1   0   0   2   0   1
k7lr         0   0   0   0   0   0   2   0   1   0   0   0   0   2   0   0
ve5va        0   0   0   0   0   0   2   0   0   0   0   1   2   3   0   0
ae0m         1   4   3   0   0   0   0   1   0   4   0   0   0   5   1   1
w1yu         0   0   1   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0   0   5   1   1
wn3k         0   0   0   0   0   0   1   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
TOTALS       6  16  46  12   4  16  46  11   8  26   9   2   4 191   6  13