T-R Switch Idea Help

WEBSTER_KER at CSUSYS.CTSTATEU.EDU WEBSTER_KER at CSUSYS.CTSTATEU.EDU
Tue Feb 1 05:35:05 EST 1994

After operating the 160 contest, we realize that we need some receiving antennas
and would like to have a RF sensing TR switch to change antannas. Anyone have
any experience with this type of system? Plans, vendors, etc. would be helpful.

Also, on a different train of thought....

We are starting to think that we had an "alligator" station (all mouth/no ears).
If you heard us and couldn't work us, or heard people calling us that we didn't
answer,  could you  let me know. Also any signal reports would be appreciated.

As a bit of background, we are trying to fine-tune a balloon-hoisted 5/8 wave
vertical in a salt marsh.

The station was K1VWL. Thanks for the input.

Kevin... N1EPU  [WEBSTER_KER at CCSU.CTSTATEU.EDU]

From: Michael Owen <MOWE%SLUMUS.bitnet at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Michael Owen)
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 94 07:56:10 EST
Subject: CT vs. ???

>Larry Novak asks:

>package, but why the overwhelming use of CT? (I don't use any of

This is a reasonable question.  Speaking as a Minor-League software
author and a non-user of any of the popular logging programs (ie.
an unbiased observer), here are my answers:

1) ALL software has bugs.  The more ambitious a package is, the
more likely it is to have a bug or two.  Packages that play it safe
usually don't have all the bells'n whistles that people want.  So,
the fact that CT has a burp or two is no big surprise.  I'll bet that
the other "big" logging programs have 'em too.

2) People remain loyal to the software that they already know how to
use.  The best software pkg. (for you) is the one you're familiar with.
For example, a ba-zillion people still use WordStar even though it's
awful and has been superceded by many better programs.  Why?  Because
these people already know WordStar, it works for them, and they have no
need/time/desire to climb another learning curve.  I can't blame them.

There.

MRO

Michael R. Owen, Ph.D.                        a.k.a.: W9IP
Department of Geology                         Northern Lights Software
St. Lawrence University                       Star Route, Box 60
Canton, NY  13617                             Canton, NY  13617
(315) 379-5975             -  voice  -        (315) 379-0161 (6-9pm)
e-mail: MOWE at SLUMUS            FAX   -        (315) 379-5804